We always want to ensure all our customers are kept informed about their upcoming holiday, and when it comes to our Winter holidays, this is our utmost priority as we know how frequently the weather can change during the winter months. If you do have any concerns about your holiday - please get in touch

For customers travelling to France, we're aware that several French unions have called for cross-sector strike action that may last throughout March. We're working closely with our airport and resort partners to monitor the situation. At present, we understand the extent of any strikes will be limited and we have been assured by our French operating partners that plans are being made to ensure that any disruption is minimal.

We will continue to monitor the situation closely and provide updates of any changes. Please be reassured that your holiday will continue as planned. If we anticipate any further disruption, we will contact those impacted directly.

In addition, your local resort representative will be able to provide further updates and answer any questions specific to your resort - you can find their contact details in your Welcome Pack by logging on to My Booking.



As we have received a number of calls and e-mails from guests with queries about the potential impact of Brexit, we have put together this brief Brexit Q&A to answer the most common questions.

Coronavirus advice

For latest updates on COVID-19 (Coronavirus), please visit our dedicated Coronavirus FAQs page.


The Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) Information Department is pleased to offer advice on travel related subjects and can verify ABTA membership details. Calls are charged at 50p per minute between 9am and 5.30pm: 0901 201 50 50 (UK Callers Only). ABTA is the UK's Premier Trade Association for Tour Operators and Travel Agents. ABTA's main aims are to maintain high standards of trading practice for the benefit of its Members, the travel industry at large, and the consumers that they serve.  

Skiing and Holiday Safety

ABTA have produced a helpful guide (in PDF format) with advice including safety on the piste, when going out and care in the sun. "How to have a safe and healthy holiday in the snow".

This also includes Health & Safety in Resort.

Passports & Visas

The United Kingdom Passport Service

It is your responsibility to be in possession of a valid passport and any visa that may be necessary. If you hold a Commonwealth or non-British passport, please check visa regulations with the embassy or consulate of the country you will be visiting. You should allow ample time when making visa applications and check for any changes in visa/passport requirements that a country may make at any time. At the time of publishing this information on the website, you do not need a visa for any destination, provided you have a British passport and usually an onward/return ticket.

If you are travelling to an EU country, you must follow the Schengen area passport requirements.

Your passport must be:

- Issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country (check the ‘date of issue’)
- Valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)

You must check if your passport meets these requirements before you travel. If your passport was issued before 1 October 2018, extra months may have been added to its expiry date.

Know Before You Go

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office’s 'Know Before You Go' (KBYG) is an ongoing campaign to ensure travellers get adequate travel insurance, have the necessary passport and visa documentation, leave emergency contact information with someone and tell them where you are going, have enough money and have access to emergency funds, visit GPs before travelling as appropriate, familiarise themselves with the destination’s local laws and customs and check the FCO’s country travel advice. For details, see the FCO website.


Please refer to the Department of Health for up to date advice on immunisations required and advised for travel abroad.

European Health Insurance Card

Reciprocal agreements exist in the EC enabling citizens of member countries to receive some free medical treatment on production of a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Application forms are available from the Post Office or Department of Health. You can also apply online for the EHIC. We highly recommend taking out further medical insurance and not relying exclusively on these arrangements since they may not be very comprehensive plus do not cover any insurance matters outside of health.

Have a question which you have not found the answer to? Try our Frequently Asked Questions.

Please note, requirements can change and it is your responsibility to check with the relevant body and ensure you have the necessary and correct documentation and advice.